Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The Book of Jarom

I have been doing this for a while, but I decided to just start where I left off, in the book of Jarom.
In this chapter Jarom is following the instructions left by his father to write in these small plates.  You can tell as you read this chapter that Jarom is tired, and has labored diligently not only with the Nephites, but I also get the sense that he had tried to work with the Lamanites, but to no avail and feels the cause is a little hopeless- however, he is writing anyway.
This chapter made me think about how important righteous leaders are, and how they labor diligently and often unceasingly for those who they have a stewardship over.  Jarom says (vs.7) that thier kings and their leaders were mighty men in the faith of the Lord, and they taught the people the ways of the Lord so they were able to withstand the Lamanites.  Their leaders helped them to fortify their cities and their place of their inheritance (families I would say).  But, because they were righteous, they began to prosper, but once again the leaders were right there to make sure they didn't get prideful and fall into transgression. (vs. 11) The prophets, and the priests, and the teachers did labor diligently, exhorting with all long-suffering the people to diligence..persuading them to look forward unto the Messiah and believe in him to come as though he already was.  Their leaders did labor diligently to teach them the ways of the Lord, to help them fortify their surroundings and to come unto Christ.  As members of the church today, we have leaders that do that very things still, (vs. 12) continually pricking our hearts and stirring us up unto repentance so that we will not be destroyed from upon the face of the land.  I was reminded of our Stake conference that was held this past weekend.  Those were the very things that our leaders talked about. How grateful I am for good leaders that labor diligently for me.
A.C. T. -Today I will write a letter to one of my church leaders, thanking them for their diligence in serving and let them know how their teachings and service have strengthened my life.
 
RETURN AND REPORT:  I wrote a letter to Pres. Henniman and his wife today.  I found it very interesting that on the very day that I mailed that letter, a letter arrived for John telling him how much his service and something he had done had affected a ward member's life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment