Again there are many gems in these few verses. King Benjamin is reminding us that even if we thank God all the days of our lives we would never catch up. He lists two things specifically that we are constantly indebted to God for. 1- He created us and gave us our lives and then 2- (verse 24) He doth immediatly bless us when we keep the commandments, so we are constantly in his debt, and will never get ahead. (vs 23) He tell us the promise that if we keep Gods commandments we will prosper in the land, and because god is perfect, he keeps that promise perfectly. All we are required to do is keep his commandments for him to bless us.
I wrote in my scriptures that the title of King Benjamins talk would have been "I have taught you well, remember them, keep the commandments and be blessed" but I think another title might have been "The Book of Mormon Covenant." The things that King Benjamin teaches are quite simply the biggest theme and promise from Nephi to Moroni. When the people keep the commandments and obey, they are blessed and prosper. When they cease to remember the Lord, and turn away from him, the Lord is not required to keep that covenant anymore, until they are stirred up in remembrance of the promise again.
Verse 31 to 41 is a warning and a consequence of what happens when we break that covenant with the Lord. He also gives us a glimpse here of HOW he prospers us and blesses us. He blesses us through the Spirit, and when we don't keep the commandments that spirit can't bless us or help us. He reminds us how easy it is once contentions arise to listen and obey the "evil spirit" We get angry, or overwhelmed, or stressed out, and we start to take council from our fear, and we start to let Satan pull the strings. This is so dangerous. In 33 he says "there is a wo pronounced upon him that listeth to that spirit. They drinketh damnation to their soul because they transgressed the law of God contrary to their own knowledge." (They knew better) They stop themselves from progressing, prospering and being blessed. The lord doesn't punish us on purpose, we stop ourselves. Vs 36 says "YE DO withdraw yourselves from the Spirit of the Lord that it may have no place in you to guide you in wisdom's paths that ye may be blessed, prospered and preserved" We stop ourselves when we go against the things we have been taught. I love how it mentions that the spirit guides us in wisdom's paths. This is so true. I talked about this a few days ago. If we have the spirit in our lives, it can helped us know how to act and what to say at those "crossroads" of our lives. It can help us be better parents, spouses, and friends. It can help us know what actions to take in our businesses, and work. If we listen we will continue to prosper, but contention, and allowing the evil spirit to pull us in, we cut ourselves off from these blessings. I think even not keeping "little commandments" can keep us from having the spirit there in our lives at very critical times and crossroads. It doesn't take "large" transgressions to drive that spirit away. Benjamin specifically mentions "contentions."
I love verse 41, when he tells them that they should consider the happy state of those that keep the commandments of God, for they are blessed in all things BOTH temporal and spiritual, and if they hold out faithful to the end they may dwell with God in a state of neverending happineess. God Promises this, and God always keeps his promises.
So, in my life today, that promise still applies. If I keep the commandments of God, he blesses me with his spirit that "guides me in wisdom's paths" and helps me know what I need to do to be the happiest. But if I choose to list to obey the evil spirit through contention or trangression, I withdraw myself from that spirit, and I don't have the guidance of the spirit in my life to bless me, prosper me and preserve me. But because of this promise, I am continually indebted to God. I need to thank him for all the blessings in my life, and recognize where they come from.
A.C.T. Write down a list of my blessings, not just things I have, but rather, specific times that I have felt the spirit guide me down "wisdom's path" and how that has blessed my life.
Sunday, March 14, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment