Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Mosiah 4:16-30

How often do I drive past someone in the Walmart parking lot (especially with this economy) that is standing on a corner with a sign, asking for a handout.  Unfortunatley, I drive by them all to often and I don't stop.  Or how often do I get calls for various charities asking for a donation, or even the school.  There are a lot of people that ask- but King Benjamin is talking about how and when should we give.  I often feel guilty because I would like to help, however, funds are tight with us also, so I can't always give when and how I would like to.  Benjamin points out here how we are all Beggars, and EVERYTHING that we have comes from God.  The food, raiment, and riches, all come from him.  He has promised us that whatsoever thing we ask, believing in faith, we shall receive, and he HAS blessed us.  With more than just temporal blessings too.  I do feel very much right now that I am at God's mercy when it comes to our temporal needs.  I have NO doubt that everything we have comes from him.  John's job, our home, cars that work, limited medical bills and needs, I could go on and on.  Everyday I am conscientiously aware of how we need the lords help in our life.  But as he says here, I have the responsibility to share those things that he has given. Our conversations last night (John and I) we talked about with his pay cut, we don't have anything left over to pay for fast offerings, yet, I have also heard that if you double your fast offereings, you will be blessed with the things you need. So how do you know when it is unwise to give away more than you need to support your family?  Benjamin answers this, he says it is dependant on our hearts, and if we have not, yet desire to give if we could, then we will walk guiltless before God.  Because he says it is not requisite that a man should run faster than he has strength.  But be Diligent.  So my thoughts are that as long as we are living our lives in a way that invites the spirit, the spirit will prompt us and let us know when it is expedient that we should share of our substance.  And if there is any doubt, we should err on the side of being generous.  Sister Mitt Romney shared something with us at women's conference one year, and I think it embodies the idea that King Benjamin was speaking about.  She said that there are so many people that are in need, that we can't help them all, but as people come into our lives and our path's cross, we will see who is in need of our service, our love, and our resources.  I think this is very true.  It is overwhelming to think of all the people that need help.  But that is why we do pay our fast offerings, so the Bishop, who knows more than we do, can distribute that to those that really do need it, but also, the spirit can direct us as to who we need to administer to and help.
The final verses tell how important it is to return what we have borrowed to keep us from sinning but also our neighbor- so they aren't driven to anger and frustration.
The final verse in this chapter is one of my favorites.  He tells them to "watch themselves" in their thoughts, their words and their deeds.  To be constant and diligent in obeying the commandments of God.  His final line is
"O man, remember, and perish not."
My thoughts go to the importance of  Self Discipline.  Micheal Cox at Education week shared the idea that self discipline will get us closer to God than any other attribute.  When we have true self discipline, we can feel the spirit in our lives more, and we have greater peace.  I have thought about that often, because that is something that I struggle with in all honesty, and definately need to work on.  But like he says if we remember the things we have been taught and DO THEM we will NOT perish.

A.C.T.  My act for today is hard to pick, I could do one of any three or more things- Place a $5 bill in my wallet so the next time I see someone in need I can share with them. OR pay closer attention when I borrow things to return them, or practice better self discipline by getting up early for the rest of the week to read my scriptures, and exercise......
RETURN AND REPORT:  Ironically after talking to John we both decided that we need to each keep $5 in cash in our wallets for times when we see someone begging.  I felt bad, however, on Friday, I ddin't have the cash yet in hand, but I saw about 10 people out on corners begging.  I decided that I would also so what a friend of mine suggested once in Relief Society.  She said when they drive past a begger, they play a game called "What's their story" where you come up with a story as to why you think they were driven to the point where they had to start begging.  It really changes your heart towards them.

No comments:

Post a Comment