In Mosiah 10- Zeniff has come full circle. I think he appreciates even more the teachings of Nephi, as he realizes how "safe" those traditions have become, versus his zelousness to return to the land of Nephi and "live" with the Lamanites. It made me think of a teenager who has to learn from their own experience that what their parents have been saying all along, really is the best way to do something for their own happiness and safety. Zeniff understands Nephi now and he shares that with his people. He recognizes how he was decieved by King Laman. He does help his people turn to God and they learn to trust in him as they fight the Lamanites and the Lord strengthens them, and they win. The next chapter Zeniff has died and has conferred his kingdom to his son Noah. Noah is SELFISH, and "walks after the desires of his own heart" (vs 2). Because of his selfishness he taxes the people and build many elegant and ornate buildings. It says that he did speak many vain and flattering things unto them as well. I can't help but wonder if those flattering words were "work harder" so you can have these nice things, "why shouldn't we have nice things" "You can have all these wonderful things I have" Why did they pay such high taxes and not revolt. Was he offering socialized health care and expanded welfare programs...? I find an uncanny similarity between this story and the things that are happening in government today. Noah put in judges (supreme court judges?) that told them what they were doing was okay....He got rid of the ones his father had put in and instead put in ones that supported his iniquity. Abinadi appears for the first time in this chapter. How much of a contrast is Abinadi and King Noah. Noah thinks only of himself, Abinadi is so focused on sharing the work of God that he gives no thought for his own safety and "popularity."
It is funny that I draw that particular conclusion......When I was at women's conference this past week, Elder Oaks spoke on "Choose you this day whom you will serve" and his whole focus was on how Satan has started a trend in todays world, the idea that it is "all about us." That we are the center of the universe and that we are all so concerned about ourselves and our inadequacies, we sometimes forget or don't allow God's light and will to work through us. He encouraged us to forget our own will, our own inadequacies, our own desires, and turn them over to the Lord. He talked about how we often don't do things we feel prompted to do, or are asked to do, because we think, oh I am not good at that, or I don't feel like doing that right now, or I am too busy. He said we can't let a "bad hair day" keep us from serving the Lord. Not saying that we have to be so outward focus we forget to take care of ourself or our needs, but we can't let our "fear" and focus on self, keep us from doing what he asks of us. We can be an instrument for so much good in the world. Another speaker (unrelated, but I thought it fit with it well) Jack Christenson, shared about a time that Elder Eyring came to visit a Seminary class fireside one morning. After he had spoken to the youth, he opened it up for Q and A. One 16 year old, asked Elder Eyring when the last time he had repented was. He got a truthful and insightful answer. Elder Eyring said, "About 20 minutes ago, when I walked in the door, I worried if you would like my talk or if you would think it was boring. I realized, it wasn't my talk, it was a message from the Lord. It isn't about me, I am just the messenger boy. You can do with the Lord's will as you want."
It isn't about us, it is about letting God work through us. Especially as a Leader. King Noah thought only about himself and his desires, Abinaidi understood that he was only an instrument in Gods hands, and by doing that , he allowed Alma to see God's light through Abinaidi. A brother in our ward a week or two ago gave a talk about missionary work. His comments struck a chord with me, as he said that "Who we are, and if we are "good" that will be the best missionary tool we can use. Just like it worked for Abinaidi and Alma. The way we become good is to let go of selfishness and let God's light shine unhampered through us.
A.C.T. Today, pay attention to promptings that come, and act on them, don't excuse them away for selfish reasons.
RETURN AND REPORT: I felt to call a widow neighbor today and visit her, despite the million things on my list. I still don't know why I was prompted to visit her, but I had a wonderful conversation with her, and hopefully brightened her day today. It really didn't take any time out of my day, and I was uplifted from the visit as well.
Monday, May 3, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment