Monday, May 24, 2010

Watching with all Perserverance

I listened to Elder Bednar's talk from April Conference this morning.  As always, I enjoyed his advice and suggestions for practical application with teaching my children.  He talked about how as parents participate in three things they can detect early warning signs in their childrens spiritual progress and attitude.  These three things were:
1- Reading and talking about the book of mormon (at every age they can feel the "spirit" even if they don't understand the words)
2- Bearing testimony spontaneously (about everyday situations and without formal "settings or script")
3- Inviting children to act (participate in spiritual learning and teaching in the home- be doers of the word, not just hearers)

I really appreciated this talk. We try to do all of the above in our family.  OF course we are not perfect at doing it everyday, but we try to be diligent.  But one of the things he suggested was to invite the children to come to FHE with their own questions, and then as a family look it up, research it together.  Rather than following a "purchased, prepared, scripted, or too many visuals" lesson, let the children pick what topics to discuss and learn about.  Let them be the gauge to what needs to be taught.  LEt them share what they have been learning, allow them the opportunity to not only be hearers but doers and teachers of the word as well. Every age can share what they have learned.  (We try to do this at the dinner table on Sunday's after church with what they learned in their classes or Sacrament meeting) but Elder Bednar suggested that we have them bring something from their personal scripture study to FHE to share.  I really like this suggestion- I think it will help motivate personal scripture study as well as allowing them to teach their siblings.
A.C.T. Plan FHE where the kids (and John and I) come prepared to share something they have learned in their own personal scripture study. 

No comments:

Post a Comment