Monday, August 30, 2010

Stake Conference

This weekend was stake conference.  There were some WONDERFUL speakers and the spirit was abundant through each of the meetings.  Nathan got to go with John to the Priesthood leadership session for the first time as well. He is the Deacon's Quorum Pres. I thought I might for my scripture study this morning review my notes.  There were four talks all of which I took something wonderful from each one.  Pat and Selina Thibedau spoke, they are good friends of ours, about their conversion story and how they came to join the church and visit the temple.  Pat's talk impressed upon me the importance of friends and missionary work, and how the Lord puts certain people and trials in our lives to help us bring others to a knowledge of the gospel.  I need to be a better friend, and a more diligent friend, so that through my love they can feel the spirit and the love of our Father in heaven.  Pat shared how one of their friends baby's passed away, and as he walked through the line, he felt this overwhelming sense of love and peace, and he started to cry.  Angie the mother of the child, asked Pat if he was okay, and then told him that he was feeling the spirit.  What a bold statement to say to someone, but it was so powerful to Pat to help him recognize what he was feeling.  I need to be bolder at times with my friends. I love them, but then, I chicken out of challenging them any further or helping them recognize, as Angie did, what they feel at times. 

Selina spoke of how difficult it was to have a husband who was not in the temple with her, and how hard it was to long for that, but not have it.  She asked if we that have it really understand what it is, and do we take it for granted.  It made me think about it alot, and ask myself, do I recognize how incredibly blessed we are to be sealed in the temple.

Sis. Tawna Olsen, the stake RS pres. spoke about obedience, but the part that jumped out at me, especially with a daughter, were her comments about modesty.  It made me realize I can do better to make sure that I am modest at all times. I want to used the measuring tool, that if the Savior were standing next to me, would I wear that. Maybe Brynn and I can have a "morning" check off.  She checks me and I check her.

Pres. Henniman spoke specifically to the youth.  He gave them 6 C's or choices they need to make.  They were:
1: Choose to Pray
2: Choose to study the scriptures
3: Choose to have good friends
4: Choose to Not pick up snakes
5: Choose to have a testimony.
6:?
 
He also talked about the importance of going to the temple and partaking of the blessings that are there, both old and new members alike.  He said to go often, we will be blessed as we do so.  He challenged us to Read the Joseph Smith history thoroughly, and then memorize those verses.


ACT: I found I had many ACTS I could choose from. But I decided to take Pres. Henniman's particular challenge first.  For FHE tonight we are going to read the Joseph Smith history and begin to memorize it.

No comments:

Post a Comment