Thursday, May 13, 2010

Mosiah 15

Abinadi is explaining the words of Isaiah in this chapter.  He emphasizes the point how Christ is both the Father and the Son. This is often confusing for many people how can he be both, but I think as you continue to read we get a greater understanding of what Abinadi means when he says this.  For example, my children are their father.  When I say this, I mean they have many of the same attributes, qualities, and mannerisms that John has.  Because  Christ is the LITERAL son of God, he is his father in the same way. He is physically like him, but even more importantly, Abinadi explains, Christ wants what God wants.  Their desires, their goals and their will is the same. I keep having the thought about my goal "to be like thee" go through my head.  Christ truly was like his Father.  They were one.  Abinadi goes on to talk about Christ's seed -remember my reference to my children and how my children are like John and I and how Christ, being his father's literal seed is like him- so to be Christ's seed- not his literal seed, but to be enough like him that you could be counted as his seed so essentially to "be like thee" he tells us what qualities they must posses.
1- Those that have heard and hearkened to the words of the Prophets.  (that is a long list in and of itself.)
2- Believed the Lord would/did redeem his people
3- Look forward to a remission of their sins

That list is a little different than the list I started creating, (patience, kindness, charity, humility.....)
It is a little more broad, but definitely less overwhelming.
And then Abinadi says, These are they whose sins he has borne....and now are they not his seed?
Again, Abinadi testifies of listening to the prophet (s), following his teachings, having faith that Christ came and redeemed mankind, and using the atonement in our own lives to ask for forgiveness and start afresh.
God loves us, and he wants us to succeed.  He made it simple.  He gave us prophets today, plus all the ones from the past, to show us the direct way home.  All we MUST do is follow the counsel of the prophets, of all ages, but especially today's, and then be constantly vigilant and use the atonement in our lives when we have made a mistake or sin, trusting that we can, because of Jesus' Christ's atonement, be forgiven. 
A.C.T.  For the next few weeks I am going to study the conference talks from this last General conference, and record what counsel and direction they gave us, to make sure that I am following the first part of that requirement.

No comments:

Post a Comment