Today I am reading in the New Testament. When I was set apart as a missionary, I was counseled to study the miracles of the Savior, so I can help those in the classes learn of the Savior's miracles and power and the ability he has to produce miracles in their lives as well.
I decided to start with Christ's first miracle. John said "This beginning of miracles did Jesus in Cana of Galilee, and manifested forth his glory; and his disciples believed on him." I found it interesting that as I sat down to study it, they had a new video out of it on LDS.org. I was so impressed, as I read it and as I watched it. Christ's miracle was not seen of many- only his mother, the servants pouring wine, and his disciples new of the miracle that day.
Even with this simple miracle there are a few basic principles that can be learned:
1) Not seen of many- simple, quiet, behind the scenes- but still affected many that didn't even know they had partaken of a miracle- even the "ruler of the feast himself" did not know what had happened. Miracles are all around us, many we don't even recognize, but still partake of daily.
2) Simple every day things- Wine isn't a life or death matter, but yet was still worthy of a miracle, because it was important to his mother. So with us, Christ is in the details of our lives.
3) "Whatever he asks- do it" Christ's mother told her servants to "do whatever Jesus asked of them." They didn't doubt or argue with him, even when asked to pour the "water" for the ruler of the feast. They did as he asked, and expected a miracle. How often do we doubt, and get in the way of the miracle.
4) The "best" wine- The ruler states that the "best wine" has been saved for the end of the feast. Christ not only changed the water to wine, but to even better wine than they had before. So it is in our lives, Christ can turn our lives from ordinary "water" to the best wine, better than anything we could do on our own, or that the world will give us.
5) Mary asked- Then trusted, but didn't counsel the Lord: As I have been studying revelation- I was reminded that the Lord needs us to ask in order for us to receive revelation- I think it is the same for miracles- we must come to him. He stands at the door, our job is to approach him and open that door so he can perform the miracle we need. We must ask, but not council the Lord. Mary stated her need, and Christ then perceived what was needed to be done, but Mary didn't tell him what to do or micromanage him, she just trusted that he could help- and made herself and her servants available to do whatsoever he asked of her.
Wow! I had no idea this simple miracle held so many truths, and I just touched the surface I am sure!
Yesterday as I studied the ARP book, my ACT was to "be careful not to counsel the Lord" in my prayers as I seek revelation. I think that applies again today as well.
Thursday, May 3, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment