I was impress as I read about Nephi in these chapters, just how important attitude plays in our lives. As we think, so we become. But I also learned from Nephi that we can change our attitude and have our hearts softened, if we choose to.
When Lehi asked the family to pick up and go, even though he was a prophet, that was a hard thing for teenagers to do. I am sure they all (including Sariah) struggled with it. But they did it, because they were a righteous family willing to follow the prophet at the time. But there were different ways in which they handled it. Laman and Lemuel murmured ....
12 And thus Laman and Lemuel, being the eldest, did murmur against their afather. And they did bmurmur because they cknew not the dealings of that God who had dcreated them.
But Nephi, on the other hand, desiring to know what God wanted him to do, took the time to ask, to receive his own witness and to seek to have his heart softened.
6 And it came to pass that I, Nephi, being
exceedingly young, nevertheless being large in stature, and also having
great desires to know of the amysteries of God, wherefore, I did cry unto the Lord; and behold he did bvisit me, and did csoften my heart that I did dbelieve all the words which had been spoken by my efather; wherefore, I did not frebel against him like unto my brothers.
I think there are a number of lessons for us here in these two simple verses. One- Knowledge can change hearts. The more we learn about the gospel and seek to understand it, the more we come to understand the mysteries of god, and that makes it easier to live the gospel- If we don't understand something, we can ask God and receive our own answer. But Two, even more importantly, when i struggle with something that I have been asked to do, be it a calling, service, or even working through a trial in my life, I can follow Nephi's example and get down on my knees and ask for understanding and to have my heart softened. Nephi did recieve great wisdom and inspiration, but it came AFTER he got down on his knees and asked, and then allowed the spirit to soften his heart. I think I have experienced that softening of heart before, but I think i have also experienced (unfortunately) the spirit trying to soften my heart, and my mind justifying my hardheartedness.
How often too, do I seek understanding through the world's eyes. Sometimes I ask my friends what they think rather then relying on the spirit, or studying it out in the scriptures or conference talks.
I was impressed also, that Laman and Lemual still came with their family. They didn't stay behind in Jeruselum- they could have lived happily there for a while I am sure, taking care of themselves, I think they appear to be old enough to have done so....they may have been in danger, but if they just denied everything their father taught they probably would have been just fine. BUT, they didn't, they still came, and then when asked to go back and get they plates, they went then too....both times complaining and murmuring that it is a hard thing asked of them- but yet they went...... I think the thing that struck me, was that Laman and Lemuel were "enough righteous" that they were still willing to come with Lehi, and Nephi, but complained the whole time and had a stinky attitude- afraid of what might happen. Nephi CHOSE to have a good attitude by turning to the Lord. How often do people go through the motions of the gospel, thinking that alone will save them. It doesn't work to just go through the motions, our attitude, faith and heart has to be there as well.
A.C.T. Today when I do the things I have been blessed to be able to do (i.e. cleaning, cooking, running kids around, my calling, etc.) I will watch my attitude, and if I feel it slipping I will turn to the Lord in prayer rather then mumur and complain.
Wednesday, September 3, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment